My favorite part of the holidays are putting on a fire and a Christmas movie (Santa Clause to be specific) and baking holiday cookies. I used to be super into baking but it has become a rare occurrence to see me with my baking box out now. So one time a year I get to break open the sugar and flours and bake it up!
I found this amazing holiday cookie bars recipe, perfect for the lazy baker! So easy and absolutely delicious!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I used Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 18 Oreo cookies, roughly chopped (I used the thin Oreos)
- 1/2 cup M&M's (I used Dark Chocolate Red and Green M&M's)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large, microwave-safe bowl add the butter and heat to melt, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don't scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined, don't overmix.
- Add the Oreos and stir to combine.
- Add the M&M's and stir to combine.
- Turn the batter out into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula and pushing it into the corners. Tip - Strategically place a few Oreos and M&M's on top for visual appeal.
- Bake for about 18 to 21 minutes, or until top is set in center and done; don't overbake. Bars firm up as they cool. A toothpick test is a bit tricky because there aren't many bare batches, but if you hit a patch of just dough, the toothpick should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 90 minutes before slicing and serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
I’ve linked up with a group of amazing bloggers to share our holiday treats! Head on over to Sarah at Stylish Sassy and Classy to see what shes baking up today!